I’m going on holidays to Europe in June.
I can barely believe I get to write that sentence — but it’s true!! I’ll be travelling with my lovely parents to some of my favourite places, including Barcelona, Paris, London, Cambridge, Cork and Rome.
It’s a mix of old and new for me. In 2011, I went to London and Cork (stalked by the Protestant Reformation, gently drawn to Our Lady, and ended up turning Catholic!). I’ve been to Paris and Rome as well, a few years before that, but naturally, I need a refresher. ;) And I’ve never been to Barcelona or Cambridge so I’m super keen.
Obviously, I want to visit and pray at all the churches. Visiting churches and praying before the Blessed Sacrament (and cool relics!) is one of my favourite things about travelling. In every different place, Christ is present in the Eucharist and the Holy Spirit draws us closer to Him. Even though this is just a holiday, it can still be a pilgrimage if Jesus is at the centre. :)
I’ve got to figure out which churches to visit! This is what I’ve got so far on my “Must See Catholic List”.
- Sagrada Familia (a.k.a Gaudi’s basilica!)
- Sainte-Chapelle (so pretty!)
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Chapel (Our Lady appeared here to St Catherine Labouré!)
- Sacré-Couer, Montmatre (longest-running Eucharistic Adoration in the world, I’m told!)
I haven’t even begun narrowing down which churches in Rome I want to visit but at the very least, I’d love to see:
- St Peter’s Basilica, Rome (um, of course!!)
- St John Lateran, Rome (Rome’s cathedral — couldn’t miss that!)
- St Paul Outside the Walls, Rome (relics of St Paul!)
I’ve got plenty of planning to go but do you have any recommendations?
Where would you go? Which churches would you visit?