2016 has not been a popular year. The bad news — and there’s been plenty of it — has tended to outweigh the good news. But still, there’s been some good news!
So I sat down and had a think. Here are some of the best news stories from the past year for Catholics, people, and the world in general. There’s plenty to thank God for!
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
- Mother Teresa was canonised as a saint! (Along with nine others!)
- World hunger reached its lowest point in 25 years.
- Excavations on the Tomb of Christ in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre revealed exactly what you’d expect: a first-century limestone tomb. Sometimes the best news is no news at all.
- The Little Sisters of the Poor won their Supreme Court case for religious freedom.
- The Pope and the Russian Patriarch met for the first time… ever. (In an airport in Cuba because that’s not sus at all.)
- Mosul was liberated from ISIS control and Christmas celebrated in its streets again.
- Liberia was declared officially free from Ebola, meaning there is now no known Ebola virus in West Africa.
- 2 to 3 million young Catholics converged on Kraków, the city of Divine Mercy, to celebrate faith and the gift of mercy.
- The Gambia and Tanzania banned child marriage.
- These two Missionaries of Charity defaced an Australian Sex Party poster in Melbourne, Australia with typical nunbadassery.
- Giant pandas and humpback whales were both taken off the endangered species list.
- A miraculous recovery was attributed to Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, meaning he might be made a saint soon!
- Hungary became the first country to open a government office to defend persecuted Christians.
- India has announced plans to ban commercial surrogacy.
- St Mary Magdalene, the apostle to the Apostles, was raised to the rank of ‘Feast’, just like the Apostles, St Stephen and St Lawrence. Nice work, girl.
- About 10,000 doors of mercy were opened across the world for the Jubilee Year of Mercy, with an estimated 1 billion people taking part in the Jubilee celebrations.
BONUS: Three of my dear friends had their first babies — and over 143,000,000 new image-bearing children of God were born across the world.
Not bad, eh? So what good news did I miss? (There must be more!) What was your best news from 2016?